“When God Doesn’t… He IS.”
The certainty of God’s character in the uncertainty of life
“When God doesn’t lighten our load, He IS strengthening us!”
The Israelites in slavery to Egypt, Exodus Chapters 5 & 6
When the load SEEMS OVERWHELMING…
- Moses & Aaron to Pharaoh: “This is what the Lord says… Let my people go.”
- Pharaoh: “Who is the Lord, that I should obey him…I do not know the Lord – I will not let Israel go.”
Exodus 5:6-14, 18
6 That same day Pharaoh gave this order to the slave drivers and overseers in charge of the people: 7 “You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. 8 But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don’t reduce the quota. They are lazy; that is why they are crying out, ‘Let us go and sacrifice to our God.’ 9 Make the work harder for the people so that they keep working and pay no attention to lies.” 10 Then the slave drivers and the overseers went out and said to the people, “This is what Pharaoh says: ‘I will not give you any more straw. 11 Go and get your own straw wherever you can find it, but your work will not be reduced at all.’” 12 So the people scattered all over Egypt to gather stubble to use for straw. 13 The slave drivers kept pressing them, saying, “Complete the work required of you for each day, just as when you had straw.” 14 And Pharaoh’s slave drivers beat the Israelite overseers they had appointed, demanding, “Why haven’t you met your quota of bricks yesterday or today, as before?” …18 Now get to work. You will not be given any straw, yet you must produce your full quota of bricks.”
God is strengthening our PHYSICAL muscles.
- Women & children had to work hard gathering straw
- The harsh desert was looming in their future… would need to daily gather manna & quail
6 1 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Now you will see what I will do to Pharaoh: Because of my mighty hand he will let them go; because of my mighty hand he will drive them out of his country.” 2 God also said to Moses, “I am the Lord. 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the Lord I did not make myself fully known to them. 4 I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, where they resided as foreigners. 5 Moreover, I have heard the groaning of the Israelites, whom the Egyptians are enslaving, and I have remembered my covenant. 6 “Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. 7 I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. 8 And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the Lord.’”
God is strengthening our MENTAL & EMOTIONAL “muscles.”
- (5:22) Moses to the Lord: “Why, Lord, why have you brought trouble on this people? Is this why you sent me?”… you have not rescued your people at all.”
- Preparing for freedom… slavery is all they knew after 400 year.
- No one knew what freedom with its responsibilities was like.
- Generation taking the land would only know the desert… prepared to appreciate God’s provision!
God is strengthening our SPIRITUAL “muscles.”
- (6:7) “I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God.”
- EXERCISE IN TRUST IN GOD… BIG GOD WITH BIG PICTURE AND BIG HEART!
- Trust Him for daily “manna”
I WILL KNOW NOTHING BUT “BONDAGE” IN MY LIFE IF I DON’T TRUST GOD!
I MAY KNOW NOTHING BUT “DESERT” IN MY LIFE… DO I TRUST GOD?
I MAY KNOW NOTHING BUT “MILK & HONEY” IN MY LIFE… DO I TRUST GOD?
“So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper…’” – Heb. 13:5-8