Section 2: “Making Disciples” Sessions 12 & 13
SUPPLY A SUPPORT SYSTEM
Jesus VALUED support systems for:
- Luke 6:13 When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he designated as apostles.
- Mark 3:14 He appointed twelve – designating them apostles – that they might be with him and that he might send them…
- Matthew 26:36-39 (Gethsemane) went with his disciples… Sit here… he took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him… stay here… a little further he fell with his face to the ground and prayed…
- Luke 10:1 The Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go.
- John 13:14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one anothers’ feet.
- Symbol of cleansed earth from self
- Lost Sheep – THE FOLD.
- “The Vine” – CONNECTED. = fruitful / apart = can do nothing
- “The Body” – COMMUNITY. “no part can say…”
Vision (Acts of The Church): MINISTRY GROWN OUT OF MISSION TO CONNECT PEOPLE TO CHRIST AND HIS BODY!
CONTACT REGARDING SPIRITUAL PROGRESS & NEEDS
New Testament: 22 out of 27 books (81.5%) are letters to groups or individuals, contacting them regarding spiritual progress and needs.
4 Gospels and the Acts of the Church are recordings (“HISTORICAL”), then Paul’s letters (“PAULINE EPISTLES”), then other PASTORAL EPISTLES (ie: James, Peter, John)… Revelation vision with letters to “seven churches!” (OR ALL OF THEM!)
Contacting provides opportunity for:
ENCOURAGEMENT (prayer) Reminder of God’s role
Vision out of mission: Many “contacters” spread it “thick!” NO ONE left waiting for the one pastor to get around to them.
NEXT WEEK: “I-ncorporate in Life and Ministry of the Church & P-ray Daily for Spiritual Growth”