ONE1 Section 2: “Making Disciples”
Sessions 16 & 17: “L-ook for Spiritual Gifts” & “E-nlist in Ministry”
I Corinthians, Chapter 12
1-3 The HIBERNATION (slumbering inactivity)
1 Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
- Muted LIFE “VOICE” – Pagan / “mute idols”… (gifts hibernating)
- 2:10 “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
HIBERNATION? THE ONE I’M DISCIPLING… AND ME?
4-7 The GERMINATION (life awakening)
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
- AWAKENED Life “voice” – Declares His Lordship!
- Gifts are the avenues of expressing the fruit of the Spirit
Manifestation: An indication of the existence, reality, or presence of something
“manifest”: adjective – Easily noticed or perceived; obvious; plain.
verb – to show plainly; reveal or display; to prove beyond doubt.
noun – a list of cargo, passengers, etc. on a plane or other vessel.
- “For the common good” (TO THE LOST AND TO THE BODY!)
- Not TO: Me / FOR: Me… but TO: Me / FOR: Others
LOOK FOR: MANIFESTATION OF “FRUIT”… “DISCIPLE” AND ME!
8-11 The FRUITION
8 To one there is the given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
- Your “puzzle piece” needed in picture!
- NOT JUST CMCN’S PICTURE… GOD’S PICTURE OF CMCN!
- AS HE DETERMINES… I WILL ANSWER TO HIM!
EXPERIENCE PURPOSE THROUGH ACTION! … “DISCIPLE”… AND ME!
12-31 The COALITION
21 …the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!”
- EVERY PART! (whole body built up as each part…Eph. 4:16)
- BASEBALL: left hand toss, right hit/throw.. goal to hit, throw as far as possible.. left WANTS right to throw/hit!
- WEIGHTLIFTING: “secondary” muscles strengthened when strengthening others! Bench/Triceps Legs/Core, etc.
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?
- Don’t let anyone tell you everyone has to exhibit the same gift!
31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts.
Next Chapter… “The Love Chapter” = faith, hope & love, the greatest is love! (13:13)
ENLIST IN: ACTION! (ministry) “DISCIPLE”… AND MYSELF
NEXT WEEK: “ONE1 Who Disciples Me? Who Influences Me?”